Sparring in Taekwondo
Some students love sparring and some don’t. Regardless of which side of the aisle you’re on, sparring in martial arts serves an important purpose.
Before we get to what that is, it is important to know what we practice in the classroom so that you can have a better perspective into this subject matter. In class, we learn many things. Here are the core of what we learn:
- Tenets of Tae Kwon Do: courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self-control, indomitable spirit, and victory
- Martial arts knowledge as it pertains to our style of the art
- Breaking techniques: a board breaking part of the curriculum to practice accuracy, balance, power, and speed using specified techniques
- Step sparring: a prearranged set of attack and defensive techniques which allows the student to discover and learn timing, distance, and technique execution in a safe way
- Forms or Poomsae: a set of combinations placed in a sequence creating a routine pattern; it promotes balance, power, combination technique execution accuracy, as well as a means to perpetuate technique knowledge commensurate with the students’ skill level
- Self-Defense (for teens and adults): students learn how to defend against certain types of common attacks
- Free Sparring: following a set of rules, students are allowed to free spar; students wear protective gear and are generally allowed to only hit a certain part of their protective torso, and occasionally for mature black belts, contact to certain parts of the head; in most cases, the former is where contact is allowed for safety reason.
Free sparring is the most unique in all of the physical activities above. What makes it unique is unpredictability. Compare that to breaking techniques, step sparring, forms, and self-defense. In all of these activities, except free sparring, the situation is predetermined–no surprise.
Free sparring provides an ever changing situation, that is, your opponent is moving constantly whereas in other activities, the situation is pretty much static. This isn’t to say that the other things don’t serve a purpose–the all do. All aspects of our training provide a purpose. However, this article is here to identify to the reader why sparring is important.
It is in free sparring that the student is able to put into practice everything they have learned in a more chaotic situation. This is where the repetitive nature of practice comes into play. The repetitive practice is what is infused into the students’ instincts. In free sparring, things happen fast. There is no time to think. It is the students’ instincts that take over. You see, when a student starts to think about what they are going to do in sparring, their reaction time slows down. It is the instinctive student who has properly learned techniques who will triumph in a free sparring match. It is the instinct that will help the student defend themselves should the need arise.
So you see, free sparring helps the students hone their defensive instincts.
If you have any thoughts about sparring and the ideas presented above, please feel free to share by commenting below.
XCOM 2 Custom Character
XCOM 2 was recently released and is generating a lot of interest on the web. The interest comes not from the mods produced for it, but from the ability of players to create their own custom pool of soldier recruits. This seemingly small feature adds an interesting twist to the game. Already various content providers have created their custom pool of recruits. One such example is PC Gamer magazine with their best custom set of XCOM 2 characters. Check out some celebrity names you should easily recognize.
To install the binary files, simply copy the downloaded binary and move them to C:\Users\yourLoginNameGoesHere\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\CharacterPool\Importable. From there, the custom recruits will become visible from XCOM 2’s Character Pool’s Import Character tab. There you can open the pool, select the characters you want, then click the import button.
By the way, I created 4 characters of my own and was able to export them to a .bin file. This file ends up in the same location as the binary files you can import. Here’s a mission I played that included one the custom characters.
If you enjoy playing games of thinking strategy, you will like XCOM 2. It is definitely challenging. You can buy it on Amazon for just about $60.
Clicker Universal Garage Door Opener Remote
This article documents the steps I took to program the Clicker Universal Garage Door Remote (model # KLIK1U) with my GeniePro Screwdrive garage door opener (model #CM7600IC/A). It covers the following:
- Tools you need to do the job
- Steps to program the remote with the garage door opener
Recently my GeniePro Screwdrive garage door remote control started failing. I know it wasn’t the battery since I have replaced it and it still fails to work.
Lately my wife has been opening the garage door for me to that point that when I leave work, she gives me 30 minutes to get home and she starts checking once the 30 minutes is up. Then as I arrive, the garage door miraculously opens, thanks to my patient and thoughtful wife.
Well, I love that the door opens without me using a remote, but I would not impose such a task on anyone. So I ordered a universal garage door opener–specifically the Clicker Universal Garage Door Remote (which I ordered through Amazon.com for about $25). It came in on time as advertised by Amazon.
To get the job done, I needed the following tools:
- Scissors — you need this to open the typical molded clear plastic used in the remote’s packaging
- Phillips screw driver — you need this to open the light cover of the garage door opener; this will expose the smart/learn button of the garage door opener
- 6 foot ladder — in order to comfortably reach the garage door opener, I used a 6-ft ladder
Basically, you need to do the following tasks in order to get this job done:
- Review the Clicker remote setup instructions
- Open the garage door opener light cover
- Push the garage door opener learn button
- Push the buttons on the remote
- Test the remote
Getting it Done!
I reviewed the setup instructions multiple times. One key thing you need to remember is that you need to determine which set of instructions you need to follow–Smart/Learn Button or DIP switch instructions.
For my case, I followed the Smart/Learn Button set of instructions.
GeniePro Screwdrive Smart/Learn Button
Here’s a list of the steps I took:
- Open the light cover of the GeniePro Screwdrive garage door opener. You’ll need the 6-foot ladder and the phillips screw driver for this. This will expose the garage door opener smart/learn button.
- Slide down to open the Clicker front cover; it will expose the program button.
- Press and hold the program button until the remote LED turns ON.
- Press and release the garage door smart/learn button; the garage door opener LED will start flashing
- Press the remote button 1 six (6) times; on the sixth press, the garage door opener LED will stop flashing, but will remain lit.
- Press and release the Clicker program button. The garage door opener LED will turn off.
- The remote is now programmed for the Genie garage door opener. Press the #1 Clicker remote button to test if the garage door opens and closes. If it works, you can re-install the garage door opener light cover, and you’re done; otherwise, you may have to repeat the above steps.
I needed a new garage door opener remote. I bought the Clicker Universal Garage Door Remote (model # KLIK1U) for about $25 and it worked perfectly with my GeniePro Screwdrive garage door opener (model #CM7600IC/A).
There is a question on our student’s knowledge list that asks “What’s the most important tool in life?”
The simple answer is “goal setting.”
We are now in the middle of the first month of the year–January 2016. By this time you should have 1 to 3 goals already set for the year.
Here are some thoughts about setting goals:
- Set no more than 3 goals for the year–anymore and you will be out of focus.
- Set goals that are realistic.
- When making a goal statement, it is best to state something that you are going to do versus something you aren’t. For example, you might say that this year, I will stop drinking soda. Instead, state that you will drink more water. This replaces the bad habit of drinking soda, which is what you really want.
- Make sure to pick worthwhile goals.
Why is goal setting important?
Without a goal, a person can go through the year without direction or purpose. Without direction, it is difficult to achieve anything. Goals help us focus. If you keep you goals in mind, it will help you take action towards achieving them.
In the process of updating my grandson’s new computer (an Acer Nitro V15 laptop) from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, I ran into the error C1900101-20017—some error about Windows failing to update.
I tried to update it again, but I ended up with the same result–Windows 10 upgrade failed.
Finally, I realized that there is a UEFI firmware interface option called Secure Boot, an operating system protection mechanism against root kits, which could probably be blocking the update. To get to this, I needed to get to UEFI by pressing F2 (your computer may have a different means to get to this) while the computer is powering up.
Once in UEFI, I disabled the Secure Boot option in the Boot tab, saved the settings, and restarted. I again attempted a Windows 10 upgrade, and this time it worked!
If this worked for you, let me know by commenting below.
Toys for Tots
We all know how fortunate some of us are because of our financial standing. That is something we can be thankful for; however, some are not so fortunate. This year, we would like to do our part in helping needy children in this times of giving.
Koryo Family Taekwondo is collecting for Toys for Tots. So if you are feeling generous or you have gifts you can spare, drop them off at the school no later than 18 Dec 2015 (Friday), and we will bring them to a Toys for Tots collection center.
From all of us at Koryo FTC.
This is an account of a half marathon I did on 01 Nov 2015. I didn’t prepare for this run. On top of this, my left foot ankle felt sore, and I put on a pair of shoes I’ve never used in a training run before (i.e. new pair of shoes). It was Halloween the night before, and so I stayed up late–sleeping past midnight.
All these things didn’t align with running a 13.1 mile course. In this article, I will share with you the result of this run.
I completed the run in 2 hours and 17 minutes (2:17:36 to be exact).
The weather was mild, but got hot after one hour of running. My Nike Air Pegasus 30 actually held up well–meaning that it felt great and its newness was not a factor in my run. As a matter of fact, it helped keep the soreness on my left foot and ankle under control. It felt very comfortable, and it felt great over the varied terrain (concrete, asphalt, dirt, and gravel) the run presented.
My lack of training really kicked in at around mile 7. There my pace started to leave the sub 10 minute pace and into the 10+ and 11+ range.
Mile 6 to 7 Splits
Below is my splits chart. It has more pace data point and provides a visual on where things went south for me. At point 1 below, my pace just started to go up almost linearly over distance and reached a plateau of 11:40 pace at around 11 miles. Coincidentally, 5 miles was probably the longest distance I have run recently in my sparse running schedule.
The are three things you can conclude from my half marathon experience.
- It is possible to get a new pair of shoes that would help reduce the effect of some form of injury on a run. The injury wasn’t bothering me enough that I could not run.
- Even without training for a half marathon, you can complete one. Especially if you are in good heath.
- Without training, your body isn’t tuned enough to handle the prolonged run. In my case, my pace degraded after mile 5, and settled to a pace that I could maintain to the end.
If you think this was useful, let me know. If you have had a similar experience, please share by commenting below.
I’ve been looking for a nice but cost effective gaming laptop for some time now. After over a month of searching, I found the ASUS ROG G751JL-DS71 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop which my wife purchased for me at Amazon.com. At the time of purchase, the unit cost $1199. For this price I got an awesome ASUS gaming laptop with the following specs:
- 17.3″ display screen
- 1TB of 7400 RPM hard disk drive
- 16GB of RAM
- Intel i7 processor
- NVIDIA 965M with 2GB of video RAM
At the time of this writing, I’ve had the laptop for a period of over one month. To date, I’ve used it to play awesome games like Guild Wars 2, The Witcher: Wild Hunt, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Minecraft, and Grand Theft Auto V. My experience with the unit and the games has been great to say the least.
The laptop performed extremely well. Specifically, I didn’t perceive any lag in any of the games I’ve played. Even with the graphics settings set to maximum, the laptop ran and displayed the games smoothly. In addition, the fast 7400 RPM 1TB hard disk drive really showed off ASUS ROG G751JS’s speed in terms of boot time. I could really perceive its fast boot speed having used a solid state drive on a work laptop.
I could easily run a benchmark test on the unit, but my own senses really could really tell that this unit is a computing and gaming workhorse. At the price my wife purchased this for, $1199 is well worth the price. Depending on supply and demand, the price for this awesome gaming laptop could go up or down.
I highly recommend this laptop, especially if you are looking for a cost effective entry level gaming laptop. Note that the only “entry level” about this laptop is its price.
If you have the same laptop, please share your experience by commenting below.
For the last several weeks, I thought that Windows 10 had a problem with detecting mobile devices when connected via a USB cable. First I thought it had something to do with Windows 10 not having the latest driver for mobile devices. But when I connected the same mobile devices on my Windows 7 machines, the same error message popped up.
I’ve never seen this problem before, but one thing for sure…the common denominator between the Windows 10 and Windows 7 computers is the USB cable. Fortunately, I had another USB cable to try out. Low and behold, all my mobile devices started to connect with all my computer!
As it turns out, the issue wasn’t driver related, but was the USB cable.
I was starting to lose hope until today, trying different things to somehow get the driver working.
The moral of the story…don’t miscount anything, even when it doesn’t look broken.
If you found this article useful and helpful, please share it and make sure to let us know by commenting below.
On July 29, 2015, Microsoft released the long awaited Windows 10. Anyone who has Windows 7 or higher gets the upgrade for free. This is a great move for Microsoft in order to quickly get the masses to move over to their supposedly last main Windows version. From here on, Windows 10 users will get updates much like apps get updates.
Anyway, overall the update from Windows 7 to 10 on my computer went pretty smooth. The main hiccup during the update was mainly to the process of switching to an online Microsoft account as the computer login. I followed the steps as prompted, yet the process would just take me around in circles, always coming back to asking me for the my Microsoft account, my password and looking like it was going to work.
I got tired of trying to make it work, so I just cancelled out of it and restarted my computer. Then it happened. It prompted me to login using my online Microsoft account. I typed my password and was able to get into my desktop.
S0 far all the programs I use on it are working except for the PC version of Minecraft. After the upgrade launching Minecraft causes the error “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000018).”
At first I thought that I needed to update my version of JAVA. I did that but the error continued. Then I did a search on the web for that error message and I found my answer at http://goo.gl/0iUKo2. I asked that you delete the Windows registry entry APPINIT_DLLS located at:
After I deleted that entry and restarted Windows, I was again able to run the PC version of Minecraft on my computer. Note that I’m not 100% sure if this issue was caused by the update to Windows 10 because I installed the BETA version of Minecraft for Windows 10 before trying to run the PC version. Regardless, if you happen to run into this issue, the solution requires the deletion of the APPINIT_DLLS parameter located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows.
Thanks for reading. Let me know by commenting below when you started experiencing this issue when launching the PC version of Minecraft.